Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Happy Hallmark Holiday

Hey, I'm back. So I've been like, starving and beaten up in a ditch somewhere...at least someone noticed I was missing. But Euan I'm disappointed you did not call the proper authorities. Luckily some malibu and coke nursed me back to health in no time.

So I sit here at the same place I sat a year ago today. Doing work, feeling slightly bitter. But only because it's tradition. Most of me is pretty happy actually...I'm content in my singleness and am even thinking about taking myself out to dinner tonight. Narcisistic? Nah...I figure you gotta be happy with yourself before you can be with someone else. Self love first! So I'm going to try to get to know myself...buy me a drink...batt my eyelashes...make witty banter...buy myself some roses...perhaps sign them from a secret admirer...ok now I'm depressing myself for real.

My original point I meant to make is, Valentine's Day is overrated. Who wants a day that's set aside to love somebody??? Ok ok hear me out...shouldn't EVERY DAY be valentine's day?? Shouldn't we buy our loved ones chocolate and nice things because we love them, not because some ancient "holiday" tells us we should? And yet, these arguments are very typical of a single person on valentine's day...or I guess someone who is in a relationship that doesn't want to celebrate valentine's day...

Maybe it is good to set a day aside to show somebody you love them. After all, isn't that what a holiday is about? We have Christmas (supposedly) for celebrating the birth of Christ. Canada day for celebrating the birth of Canada. Victoria Day as an excuse to get drunk and have a day off of work. But when it comes to love you should let the person know you love them everyday....it would be like having a day to celebrate wearing silly socks, but how special is it if you wear silly socks every day?

All this debating just makes me dislike valentine's day even more. However, there are some good things that come of it. ie the human resources department bringing in pie for us. I like pie.

No comments: